Friday, January 2, 2009

A Biking Class for the Haynes's

We decided on a bit of a fitness theme this year and Elaine and Ethan got bikes from Santa so we can all go on rides together (along with a new bike carrier for the car). So our first task was to teach Sarah to ride without here traininbg wheels and Ethan used to the bike. Elaine has plenty of experience from her mission in Holland so it would just be a matter of getting 'back in the saddle'.



So we ventured to the local bike 'practice park' yesterday and Elaine and Emma rode their together while I took the younger kids in the car. I checked with Sarah she was ready and I then took off her training wheels, gave her some last minute advice (just keep pedalling) and pushed her on her way.

Well, based on previous experience I was expecting to spend at least 30-60 minutes helping her until she got thehang of it but our amazing Sarah just rode off first go and didn't look back. She even went on a ride on the road with Mum for a few minutes. Well done Sarah!



After we had been all going for a while Elaine drove the younger kids back home and I went for a longer ride with Emma on some local bike paths over to her friend Emily's house at MacGregor (about 15-20 mins each way). She was very surprised to be able to ride her bike so far and we were pretty tired by the time we got back (it was the middle of a very hot/humid day).

Of course we spent the rest of the afternoon in the pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment